The students of CEG Daagbe went on strike. Here is a roughly translated version of their manifesto they posted all over the school during the strike:
Motion to Protest
When will our suffering end?
We, the students of Benin, and in particular of CEG Daagbe.
– In light of the persistance of the wrestling between the unions and government;
– In light of the right to education that has been left by the wayside;
– In light of the fact that we don’t have teachers who will give us knowledge;
– In light of the fact that certain students regularly attend class and others don’t;
– In light of the fact that certain students are profiting from this release to totally forget their notebooks;
– In light of the fact that others are profiting from it to engage in sexually uncontrolled practices;
– In light of the fact that our parents are coping to afford our school fees;
– Also considering that government’s freedom-killing drift in the face of the current movement [i.e. the government’s actions against the teachers’ strike] (drift toward threats, intimidations, and slander…);
– Considering that the president of the republic is making the youth of Benin suffer
– The Confederation of Students of CEG Daagbe calls all students to observe a strike of 72 hours in order to:
1. Energetically protest against the freedom-killing drift of the government and it’s confiscation of the liberties of the union members;
2. Support the teachers in their struggle, ongoing for 3 months, against the arbitrary and the name respect of actions taken by the government;
3. Get the attention of the government [for our demands]:
– the scrupulous respect of liberties dealy acquired
– the satisfaction of the legitimate demands of the pre-school, primary, secondary and university teachers so that classes can begin again in schools paralyzed by the strike, and we also ask all students to leave in a massive movement to reclaim their rights!!!
ONLY THE STRUGGLE PAYS!!!
Done in Daagbe, March 25, 2014